(Gregynog Press)

The History of Saint Louis.

Stone, Reynolds (illus.)

(Newtown, Montgomeryshire): Gregynog Press, 1937. Quarto. 157(8)pp. One of 200 copies. Translated from the French text by Joan Evans. Printed in red and black, with four- and five-line initials throughout in red and pale blue, designed by Alfred J. Fairbank. The first text page, starting with three sizes of Poliphilus capitals printed in red, and with the shield of St. Louis in jewel-like blue and yellow at the foot, is considered one of the most beautiful openings of the Press. Illustrated with seventeen armorial shields engraved in wood by Reynolds Stone, and hand-colored in brilliant hues. Maps drawn by Berthold Wolpe and lettered by Fairbank, and genealogical tables in red and black. Gwen and Daisy Davies, the Welsh sisters who owned the Gregynog Press, employed four different controllers during the lifetime of the Press. James Wardrop, who came to them from the Victoria and Albert Museum, was responsible for bringing together the artists whose collaboration resulted in the sumptuous production of The History of Saint Louis. The book was the highlight of Wardrop's tenure at Gregynog, and is one of the Press' finest achievements. Bound in original full-burgundy morocco with the coat-of-arms of St. Louis stamped in gold on the front cover. Spine in six compartments, with raised bands and gilt titling. T.e.g. Very fine. Item #31201

(Harrop 37).

Price: $2,850.00

More Items in: Book Arts, Fine Printing
By This Author: